For more details contact us on 01494 622792 / 01494 321888 or email

Commons Registration Searches ... bite size

Where land is registered under either the Commons Registration Act 1965 or the Commons Act 2006, the land: 

  • may be subject to rights of common, e.g. grazing rights
  • may be impossible to develop
  • may have access problems as there is no right to drive a vehicle over common land or land that is a town or village green
  • will be 'access land' for the purposes of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000

The search should be carried out in the following circumstances: 

- where the property adjoin a village green or common

- where the property is separated from a public highway by a strip of land which does not belong to the property or

- the land is undeveloped.

Leave a comment