Conciliation ... bite size
Conciliation is a more informal form of alternative dispute resolution.
The conciliator assists the parties to a dispute to find a resolution.
Although the conciliator can suggest a solution, they have no powers to enforce it.
Advantages of conciliation:
- less expensive than litigation
- quicker than litigation
- procedure is more flexible than litigation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
- less adversarial which is important where there is an ongoing relationship
Disadvantages of conciliation:
- conciliator has no power to enforce a decision
- conciliator is not usually a subject expert